Sunday, October 30, 2011

Race Day

Wow where do I start? Let me begin by saying that a marathon is hard.
So after watching the weather all week, sure enough Saturday was freezing cold with snow on the foothills and I was not a happy camper. The forecast said clearing on Sunday but still really cold. So I had to change my running outfit, so sad. On Saturday we did an emergency visit to Kohls to get a long sleeve running shirt. The biggest problem was finding one that matched my orange shorts, not the kind of drama I needed before the race. Anyway I found a suitable long sleeve shirt, not orange but nice purple color.
On Saturday we did a trip to Down Town Denver to the Rock and Roll marathon expo. I needed to collect my running number and T- Shirt and some cool things they were giving away. We wondered around there for awhile but I didn't want to waste too much energy, so after about an hour we headed home. I made a big batch of pancakes (crumpets for my South African friends) a perfect carbo loading meal. We sat in front of TV, watched a movie and relaxed. I did have a very encouraging chat with my wonderful parents, who always seem to know the right thing to say.

On Saturday afternoon I was feeling very nervous, so we took a drive to a lake and walked around it, in the cold and then Scott treated us to Starbucks coffee and hot chocolate for the girls. One way to calm the nerves. Dinner was a real carbohydrate dinner, pasta and garlic bread. The girls went to bed and Scott and I watched a movie, I think I slept through most of it. Not a good thing because I really battled to sleep and I was awake at about 4 in the morning and just couldn't go back to sleep.

At 5am on Sunday morning I got out of bed, got dressed in my orange and purple outfit and went down stairs for my cup of coffee, bowl of granola and sliced banana. I painted my nails bright orange and spent some time reading my bible and praying. I must say I did feel such a sense of peace as I committed my race to God. Amy also came down to have a chat but I did send her back to bed as I headed off to Tim and Nancy's. Tim and Nancy are my amazing neighbors and they were also doing the marathon and they offered to take me to the start. That way Scott and the girls wouldn't have such a long day down town.

Wow it was freezing as I walked out the door, the grass was white with frost. I must say I wasn't too happy but again I knew that God was in control.  The start of the race was amazing, a great vibe, fun music and lots of cold shivering people. I was so excited to be there and the adrenaline was pumping.
Then the loud speaker called all the runners to line up in their particular groups and suddenly I wondered what I was doing there. Anyway before I knew it the gun went off and we were off. The start was kinda crowded but after about a mile everyone settles into their own pace. The first few miles were fun and exciting, I had some good Christian music on my iPod and I was feeling inspired. I was feeling good although a bit cold, it seemed to take a long time for me to warm up.

It was nice to see Scott and the girls as I ran through the first of three parks, the girls were cheering and Scott was taking pictures and telling me that I was running a bit too slowly. I needed to remind him how tough a marathon really is especially when it is cold.

At mile 15, I had my first problem, a terrible cramp in my right quad and I must say I felt like sitting down and crying. But God has given me an amazing and encouraging husband, he said "come on Babe's you can't stop now."  So after that pep talk I decided to keep going. Somehow I managed to push through with the help of GU and cytomax. I really had to will myself not to stop and walk. At mile 20 I hit another problem, my left knee started aching. Then I just started praying and asking God to give me the strength to push through the last 6.2 miles. It was hard but somehow I had the strength to keep going.

The finish was pretty brutal, a steep uphill and then turning the corner the street was lined with people cheering. And that is when the adrenaline kicked and I pushed the finish. The announcer over the loud speaker said "Well done Renee Ainslie" and I felt like a super hero. I looked up at my time over the finish line and it said 4 hours and 15 seconds. I was happy considering how I was feeling. As you walk through the finish they give you a really nice medal, energy drinks, food. I never thought a chicken burrito would taste good after a marathon but trust me it was amazing. At the very end they give you a space blanket. So by the time I met up with Scott and the girls I was staring to warm up again. The space blanket really helped.

We had to walk a couple of blocks to Scott's car, which was near his office, so we headed up to his office to use the bathroom. Then off to the car and there waiting for me was a bag of Jelly Tot's and a big bar-one. (South African Candy that I had been saving for after my race.) I must say a bar-one chocolate never tasted so good.

When I got home I had the most amazing shower, and felt better after that. Then I had to call my dad and mom, they have been so supportive. Before we called them I checked my time for the marathon and I was so excited to see that I had actually run the marathon in 3:56. So I managed it in less than 4 hours. I was very excited to call my dad and mom and chat with them. They were proud of me.

After chatting, I curled up on the couch and felt asleep with such an sense of accomplishment and so grateful for God's hand upon me. In the evening we went across to Nancy's house for snacks and drinks and a chance to chat with all the neighbor's. A great way to end a very emotional day. Scott also cooked dinner which was such a treat. I think I was in bed by 8.

Monday morning was painful, I could hardly walk, getting up and down the stairs was painful. Chloe kept saying "Can I help you Mom?" It took me a few days to recover and now I am feeling good again. I did a short run on Saturday and it felt good to be out again. Sunday I went out on my bike, it was such a beautiful afternoon, the fall colors are stunning around Bear Creek Lake.

Hebrews 12:1b "let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us...."

Philippians 4:13 "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

These verses were such an encouragement to me while I was running the marathon and actually through my training. I so enjoyed working towards my dream of running a marathon and it couldn't have been all bad because I would like to try another marathon next year.
Guys run the race that God has called you to run and don't give up.
Thank you for reading, and I will keep posting through the winter about what it takes to get outdoors in the snow. I will also let you know when I start training for my next marathon.
















1 comment:

  1. Well done, Renee! Good job pushing through all those obstacles, big & small, to reach your goal. :) Let me know how your training during the winter is going. I'm thinking about doing a 1/2 marathon in the spring, but nervous to train in the winter!

    Trish

    ReplyDelete