Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Dreams

Well I have had a nice long winter break, just resting up and recovering from my marathon in 2011. While I really enjoyed having the goal of a marathon and doing all the training, I think this year I am going to try something different. I think I would like to try a triathlon and a half marathon. I really like the Georgetown to Idaho Springs half marathon. I do think that it is important to have goals and dreams to work towards, I feel like that really motivates you to keep pushing hard.

Over December I was very blessed by my amazing husband, I got a couple of really cute winter running outfits. Those who know me, know that I love cute workout clothes some how they inspire me to keep working hard. Anyway I now have three base layer running pants and a fun green compression top and a beautiful pink dri wick sweater (a Christmas present from Amy). I  think another key clothes item you need for running in winter is a good pair of gloves. I have pair that I got from Costco, the brand name is HEAD and they are great. Of course if you want to look good, a fun head band is also essential. Seriously, having good running gear for winter can have a huge impact on your work out. While on workout clothes, I also want to say that Brookes makes an amazing pair of running shorts, I got some on sale at REI and I must say if find some more on sale I will get them, they are comfortable, they fit well and of course they look cute.

So after my marathon I did take a couple of weeks off, I guess I didn't realize how much a marathon takes out of your body. I have since gone back to swimming and Zumba at the local rec center. I have also started running more regularly, probably about 3 times a week. Winter is definitely not as conducive to  getting out and running. Especially with lots of snow around, I am always a bit weary of slipping and injuring myself , so far so good no injury's. Every now and again my ankle still hurts but I think it is something I am just going to have to live with. I love running too much to stop.

I had an amazing run on Monday, I did about 7 miles. It was just one of those runs, where you feel great, the weather is perfect and really running in this area is just so pretty. At the moment on the Bear Creek river, there is a family of wood ducks. They are the prettiest ducks I have ever seen. It is nice to be running and not be watching the stop watch so I am able to stop and just enjoy the beauty around me. I will start running with my stop watch again soon, because my goal with the half marathon is to beat my personal best time of 1:51. So I think I do need to work on some speed during my training sessions. I do also want to keep running fun this year, maybe not as competitive as I was last year, but I do realize that will be hard for me. Since Monday I have had a few more good runs, I took Chloe in the stroller one afternoon, I couldn't run as fast, but I enjoyed listening to her chatter as I ran along the green belt. Saturday morning I did a 8 mile run, it is so nice to be getting back to the longer distances and feeling good, although I am a bit tired tonight.

My encouraging scripture for this year is Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you, be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." I think this year is a year of getting out of our comfort zones and doing what God has called us to do. It is time for us to rise up and be courageous and proclaim the goodness of God.

So I encourage you to go for your dreams this year, don't let fear hold you back.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment